BARLA Open Age National Cup Round-up 29.2.20

BARLA Open Age National Cup Round-up 29.2.20


There will be a new name on the BARLA National Cup this year after holders Thatto Heath Crusaders "A" were knocked out by a strong Beverley effort.

The teams cancelled each other out during a scoreless first quarter before Beverley went the length of the field. This followed an intercept on his own line from centre Luke Parker. He then galloped the full 100 metres for a try converted by Lewis Straw. Lewis Miller increased the hosts advantage thanks to good play down the right and a neat finish, although the conversion attempt was missed in the windy conditions. That made it 10-0 before Thatto Heath Crusaders "A" hit back before the interval when Jordan Houghton finished a fine move with a side step and Ben Roberts goaled.

Five minutes into the new half Beverley increased their advantage to 14-6 when Parker got his second try. BARLA Tourist Jack Howdle was heavily involved at this stage and scored a further try with Straw's second goal increasing the hosts advantage to 20-6. Despite their best efforts, Thatto Heath couldn't finish their opportunities and Beverley made the game safe near the end with their fifth try from Alex Calvert and Straw added his third goal. Beverley now await details of who they will play in the semi-finals, to be held on the weekend of March 28.


Siddal defeated Ellenborough Rangers 32-28 at Chevinedge to progress to the semi-finals.

Ellenborough dominated at the start of the game and Luke Penrice touched down after five minutes. Owen Hoyles was wide with the conversion, but Rangers were 0-4 ahead.

Siddal then hit the front on 23 minutes when Josh Greenwood-MacDonald ran in from 30 metres. James Dodds put the home team 6-4 ahead with the conversion. Siddal stretched their lead just before half time when Henry Turner found space out wide. The conversion was missed and the first half finished 10-4 to the hosts.

At the start of the second half Greenwood-MacDonald broke the Cumbrian defence and fed second rower Josh Milnes. He sprinted upfield and handed back to Greenwood-MacDonald who scored by the side of the posts. Two minutes later supporting full back Kian Cox went under the posts for Siddal with Dodds' conversion making it 20-4

Then after 51 minutes Turner grabbed his second try and Dodds conversion took the scores to 26-4.

Ellenborough hit back with two tries in three minutes from hard running forward Craig Dowling, both of which were converted by stand off Owen Hoyles. Siddal regathered composure and Greenwood-MacDonald grabbed his hat-trick score after 72 minutes when he wriggled out of a tackle to touch down and Dodds' fourth goal looked to have put Siddal in the clear at 32-16.

Ellenborough refused to lie down however and finished with two more tries through Andrew Ostle and Luke Broster, both improved by Hoyles only to fall short of victory.

BARLA National Cup: Open Age


Saturday, February 29

Kells 18 West Hull 0 (West Hull have withdrawn from the Competition), Myton Warriors v Wigan St Cuthberts (Postponed), Siddal 32 Ellenborough 28, Beverley 26 Thatto Heath "A" 6