3 Counties Open Age, Yorkshire v Cumbria

3 Counties Open Age, Yorkshire v Cumbria




Sandal RUFC

In a cracking opening to the BARLA Tri Series at Open Age last year’s wooden spoonists Yorkshire came from 14-8 behind at half time to keep visitors Cumbria pointless in the second half to record a 25-14 victory.

The turning point of the game came on 47 minutes after the home side had levelled the game up with a converted try but more so the sin binning of Cumbria’s James McDonald (Egremont Rangers). How costly that became as Yorkshire scored back to back tries in two sets to lead by ten points.

Both sides battled on with Yorkshire’s Ian Jackson having the last word with a drop goal 14 minutes from the end.

Yorkshire opened the scoring on eight minutes when captain Jamie Fields (Hunslet Parkside) kicked a penalty but four minutes Cumbria were in front from a converted try from second row forward Daniel Fryer (Glasson Rangers) with prop Ethan Kelly (Millom) adding the extras.

As the game got feisty between both sides Yorkshire went down to twelve men on 17 minutes when Kyle Larvin (Hull Dockers) was sin-binned for ten minutes. Great defending though by the ‘White Rose’ saw no further points conceded.

A Kelly penalty increased the lead to six points but the game was level on 36 minutes when Larvin redeemed himself to crash over and Field added the extras.

In the last minutes though Cumbria struck again James Devine crashed over and Kelly converted what was to be his last points of the night to restore a six point lead.

The second half saw the hosts in the ascendancy and they levelled the game up on 47 minutes when leading by example Fields drove and added the extras for good measure. Crucially McDonald was sin binned.

Yorkshire then showed the visitors how to take advantage of the extra man by scoring two quick fire tries. On 53 minutes Rhys Kilbride (East Leeds) struck with a six pointer and on the next set three minutes later James Jennison (Myton Warriors) went over and the comeback was complete as they led 24-14.

Both sides battled hard with defence the watchword and Ian Jackson (Featherstone Lions) had the last say in the scoring department with a one pointer.

Both sides gave their all for the rest of the final quarter but Yorkshire finished with an eleven point victory with a three week before a trip to Lancashire were a win would see them take the trophy.

Josh Steward (Skirlaugh) was named as man of the match

Steve Manning

Yorkshire Media Manager