Pennine Trophies
Sunday March 10th 2013 < Back Print Page
Cumbria Men's ARL
Saturday 9th March

Glasson Rangers 4 - 2 Cockermouth Titans
Maryport 14 - 12 Walney Central
Seaton Rangers 0 - 8 Distington
Wath Brow Hornets 20 - 34 Barrow Island

Saturday 16th March 2.30 pm

Barrow Island v Glasson Rangers
Maryport v Seaton Rangers
Walney Central v Distington
Wath Brow Hornets v Cockermouth

Maryport ..(8) 14
Walney Central ..(0) 12

Kenny Millican at the Athletic Ground, Maryport

The Cumbria Men’s Amateur Rugby League opened its doors for business at the Athletic Ground, Maryport on Saturday with Maryport hosting Barrow visitors Walney central.

Before the kick off BARLA Chairman Spen Allison presented the new league’s Treasurer John Shanks, with the cheque for funding that helped make this league - which sees teams from North West Cumbria compete with teams from the Furness area -possible.

On the pitch the two sides defied the elements to put on a show fitting of the league’s launch and provided top drawer entertainment for the healthy crowd of spectators.

Maryport were first on the board through Andrew Pattinson who slid in at the left corner. Liam Vickers doubled the home side’s lead with his own effort in the right corner and that’s how it stayed up to the interval.

When the sides changed ends, ‘Cents were quick to register a score through Carl McBain and with the visitors holding on to the ball much better than they fared in the first period, at 8 - 6 the game was anbody’s.

Maryport however had a different slant on the game and after pinning the visitors inside their own quarter for three successive sets, Craig Foster came up with the game breaker when he crossed in the left corner.

Walney efforts were by no means over and minutes after coming close, they were back in the game when Danny Morrow plunged over just inside the right louchline. McKinley’s superb touchline conversion put the Cents to within touching distance once again.

Walney searched desperately for the winner and pounded a tiring Maryport defence. with the minutes ticking it looked as though their chance had come when they came up with the ball 20 yards from the home try-line, only for the referee to signal a ball steal.

From the resulting penalty, it was up the jumper time for Maryport and seconds later the referee’s whistle called an end to proceedings.


1] Marc McMillin 2] Liam Vickers 3] Andrew Pattinson 4] Scott Akehurst 5] Dareen McGraff 6] Craig Foster 7] Gary Taylor 8] Steven Scholey 9] Ben Waugh 10] Mark Foster 11] Phil Holiday 12] Mark Walker 13] Lee Ferguson 14] John Dollochin 15] Brett Smith 16] Ellies Nixon,

Trys: Andrew Pattinson, Liam Vickers, Craig Foster,
Goals: 1/3 Mark Walker

Walney Central

1] Mike Elliott 2] Jake Devereaux 3] Matty Holmes 4] Mike McKinley 5] Matty Wlodarlzak 6] Gary Broadbent 7] Jamie Morrow 8] Mitch Simpson 9] Matty Elliott 10] Carl McBain
11] Danny Morrow 12] Harry Gee 13] Mark Mckinley 14] Conner Prirle 15] Jordon Starreri 16] Jamie Ralph 17] Dave Bell

Trys: Carl McBain Danny Morrow
Goals: 2/2 Mark McKinley

Game breaker Craig Foster’s try following a sustained effort in defence by the whole of the Maryport team.

Referee: Mr Colin Armstrong
The British Amateur Rugby League Association.
West Yorkshire House, 4 New North Parade, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. HD1 5JP, England
Tel: 01484 599113, Fax: 01484 510682,
© 2007 British Amateur Rugby League Association Website Designed and Hosted by SuperSys Web Services